Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Totes

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If you asked me right this minute what holds the number one spot on my list of things I hate, it would unquestionably and without a doubt be packing. I literally HATE it. Packing requires thought and effort and care (if you don't want your stuff to be mangled upon unpacking), yet in the back of your mind you know that all that thought and effort and care really amounts to nothing in the long run, because it will all be quickly undone by the imminent unpacking (regardless of how unmangled it may be). There is very little about packing that I find remotely appealing.

The one, single, very small, semi-redeeming quality that I've discovered about packing my apartment up every time I move (I still haven't discovered anything redeeming about packing for a trip, other than it means I'm going on a trip) is the totes I use to pack everything into. How pathetically . . . pathetic does that sound? The only thing I enjoy about the process is the cheap plastic bins that protect my priceless life-items from harm. Put that way, it makes me sound rather shallow.

But there's something about totes that put me in an organizational mood, and if there's one thing I (occasionally) love, it's organization. Though you would probably never guess that from the current state of my room. I think I get excited over the organizational implements, like totes, not the organization itself. At least I get over something related to it, which is a step in the right direction after all.

Because I love totes, and because they're remarkably handy when I have lots and lots of stuff that needs storing, I've been amassing quite a collection in the past few years. Currently I have nine totes, and almost all my stuff fits in them! Which makes storing them at my uncle's house much more convenient. I quite love my totes, even though the unpleasantness of packing is not really diminished by them. Such is life. I'll be content with being grateful for my totes.

No comments:

Post a Comment