Monday, August 2, 2010

Custard and Italian Ice

Monday, August 2, 2010

Maryland has many wonders that my family and I have discovered over the years, but I have to say that one of the most wonderful wonders we've crossed paths with is a delightful italian ice and custard place known as Rita's. Currently, Rita's is an East Coast and Southern phenomenon, which is a real tragedy for those living in the West who never have the opportunity to sample the heavenly creations that come from these summertime stands. Thankfully, I have the pleasure of living five minutes away from a Rita's, and it has been a staple of my summertime menu for the past few years.

Tonight, my parents and I discovered Rita's competition - a little shop known as Meadow-something Custard. Something. (It's name wasn't quite as easy to remember.) It was a rather interesting place, run by eager high school students and owned by a very eager middle-aged man. The menu was a bit more extensive than the fares that Rita's offered, but I'm not yet convinced that the quality was as good. However, it seemed to be an opponent worthy of challenging the powerhouse that is Rita's. I'll be interested to see how this battle ends. And while I wait, I'm grateful for an unending supply of custard and italian ice. Somehow it makes the summer that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment