Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hershey*

Thursday, August 5, 2010

I swear if my dog wakes me up at 6:30 in the morning one more time by barking at non-existent squirrels, I will put her up for sale faster than you can say 'woof!' If you ever wondered why my dog and I do not get along, here you have perfect proof. I've surprised myself by not locking her out of the house yet.

However, as much as Hershey drives me up the wall, there are a few (a very few) qualities that I at least find amusing about her. The first being that I'm pretty sure she dreams. I actually really wish I could know what she dreams about (if, in fact, dogs can dream), because she gets awfully funny when she's deeply asleep. Her eyes come half open and start rolling (which is actually really creepy, not funny), her tongue sticks out, her nose twitches, and sometimes her paws even start to move. Like she's having a dream about chasing down a rabbit or attacking the neighbor dog or something equally dog-worthy. If there's anything about Hershey that I enjoy, it's watching her dream.

The other point in her favor is that she can be very cute when she decides to cuddle. However, letting her cuddle with you is always a gamble, because she can also be very annoying. If she's just taking a little cat nap next to me, I don't mind it so much. She doesn't move, she isn't barking, and she doesn't take up much space. But, if she snuggles up for a good long sleep, I know I'm in trouble, because those are the times when she sprawls out and takes up all the available space. You wouldn't believe it, but my little eleven-pound dog has actually squeezed me off the couch before because she spreads out so much when she sleeps. I don't know how my parents stand to sleep with her every night.

I'm not entirely sure why I decided to write a post about my dog tonight, because I'm still a little bitter about her untimely wake-up call. But I suppose she deserves some recognition for being, well, the family dog. And I am semi-trying to make our relationship more based on love than on hate, mostly by bribing her with treats and occasionally letting her sleep on my recliner. I suppose writing a post about how grateful I am for her (*in very specific circumstances) was inevitable.


The face that isn't always as cute as it seems (though sometimes it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment