Friday, June 11, 2010

Overcoming Milestones

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Today I was productive. I know at age twenty that shouldn't be such an exciting thing to say, but it is, and it will be just as exciting to say at age forty-three and age seventy-six. Simply put, I find productive days exciting; I always have, and I always will.

Why was today productive? Well, because I made phone calls. I know that sounds rather boring, and maybe even a little pathetic, but it really is a bigger deal than you know. When I was younger, I had this aversion to all phone calls. It was so bad that I wouldn't even call my friends back, let alone the mom looking for a babysitter or the desperate singer who needed a pianist. As I got older, my phone skills improved, and I began to at least return my friends' calls at least some of the time (though I'm sure my friends can attest that I still haven't quite perfected this skill). Despite the improvement, I was still a wimp about really important phone calls, the ones that it was necessary for me to make. However, today I am proud to say that I have overcome.

I made a phone call to the Jerusalem Center to change my mailing address; I called the Student Health Center to set up a physical time; I even phoned the Administrative Building to ask about transferring scholarship money. I was on a roll! Too bad those were all the phone calls I needed to make, because I would have been all over any other ones too. Actually, I guess I did call my mom after this to report on everything I found out; her shock at my phone abilities was slightly insulting (she seems to think I can't leave my comfort zone and make a few phone calls, for some odd reason). Despite her skepticism, I was proud of myself because I overcame! Granted, it wasn't really a big deal; in fact, it's really almost lame in the long run, but it's a milestone for me. And overcoming milestones is something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment