Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tans

Once again, I'm behind. Which means that once again, I will attempt to catch up on this one-a-day goal of mine. Wish me luck. Also, sorry about the background change. Something happened to my old background, and since I know less than nothing about computer programming, I wasn't able to fix it. Hence, the new background. I hope you like it.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am sunburned. Not badly, not the worst I've ever been, but I am. See, yesterday was a beautiful, cloudlessly sunny day. The first day of it's kind that we've seen in quite a long time here in Provo. Which makes absolutely no sense, since two days ago it was snowing, cementing my belief that I will never understand the weather. Oh well. Since it has been so abysmally overcast for the past, oh, month, I haven't had the opportunity to do away with my horribly pale complexion that only a Provo winter can cause. Until today.

From the moment I realized that the sun would likely be shining all day (you never know when the weather will change on you in this town), I made plans to spend at least part of it out-of-doors. I've always loved the feeling of sun on my skin, and I desperately needed some after a month stuck indoors. Well, Sam informed me that she had the same plans as I did, that she would be going to our favorite little park a little ways up Provo Canyon, and that I was invited to come. So of course I did. We were only out there for about an hour and a half, but I was sleeping for at least a good hour of that time, and for the other half hour I made no attempt to do anything but lay there. Well, as I'm sure you may know, sitting stationary in the blinding sunlight at around one in the afternoon is not the best course of action for your skin. But I did it anyways. And today I'm paying the consequences.

I love being tan; the white complexion I acquire during the winter bothers me to no end, mostly because it makes me feel like I sick ghost. I hate being sunburned; the heat that radiates off my skin when it's fried to a crisp makes me want to do nothing but sit in a tub full of ice cubes. Unfortunately for me, the two go hand-in-hand. In order for me to get tan, I have to get sunburned first, because then my sunburn turns into a tan. So today, while I sit here miserably, with burning skin that hurts to be touched, my only consolation is that, in a few days, it will turn from this fiery red into a wonderful brownish hue. And I'm grateful for that knowledge, because it's the only thing that makes this misery semi-worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment