Friday, March 12, 2010

Frank Conversation

If yesterday was a day when I had too many thankful things to write about, today is the complete opposite. Nothing particularly grateful-worthy sticks out. Except maybe the conversation I just had with my roommates. We have quite the awesome conversations while watching Disney movies and eating homemade popcorn on Friday nights.

I grew up with two brothers and no sisters, so I was really pretty nervous about living with five other girls when I first came to college. Girls can be very tricky to deal with, as I'm sure any guy from the age of three on up can attest to. Lucky for me, I ended up with a pretty sweet set of roommates, and we've had quite a few good times over the past year and a half, including an uncountable number of deep and profound conversations. Our conversation this evening was neither very deep nor very profound, but it sure was very amusing.

Tonight's subject was boys, which is understandably a rather common topic among us. Really it was more about boys who cheat. Or one boy, I guess. See, my roommates decided to express their real feelings to me about said boy, and it's quite funny what people will tell you after the fact. They had no problems telling me just how awful they think this guy really was because they know I've moved on. Never in a million years would they have dared tell me their true feelings even a few months ago (well, maybe one of them would. In fact, one of them did). Yet tonight, they showed no mercy and just let it all out. It was rather enlightening. And while I thought they were maybe a little harsh (though they did have some valid points), I appreciated their honesty. I'm always grateful for frank conversation (and I like using 'frank' in this context; it reminds me of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - "Ma called him Frankincense, 'cause he smelled so sweet"). I've had a lot of it tonight, and even though it hasn't been on the most enjoyable topics, I'm still thankful for the willingness of others to tell me their true feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment