Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spanish Class Opening

I've been stressing a little bit lately, but I like to think it's for a good reason. More like several good reasons. This is my conferencing week for my tutoring job. That means I hold one half-hour conference with each student I'm tutoring to talk with them about the strengths and weaknesses of their papers. This is also the week when the 150 essays for my TA job are turned in, and I have to go through each of them within the next two weeks. Not to mention that I have a paper due, a Spanish test, an editing workshop, and a presentation all happening this week. Oh, and I have to finish my application for the Jerusalem center, start looking for summer jobs, and potentially try to land an internship. I'm surprised I haven't run away screaming yet.

On top of everything that's happening this week, I've also been stressing about my future: aka Spring Semester. I want to stay for Spring. First, because I want to take my last college-level Spanish class before I leave the country for four months (if that actually happens). Second, I don't want to find a job back in Maryland because I can 99% guarantee you it will be some crap retail job that I will hate. Plus, most of my friends no longer live in Maryland, which puts a damper on the social life. Crap job + no friends = no bueno. Third, spring in Utah just seems like it will have so much potential, especially if certain fun plans happen to work out. However, there was a little wrench in my reasoning: the Spanish class I wanted to take, which is pretty much the entire reason I even started thinking about staying for Spring, was full. Major problem? I think so.

And now for the good news. For the past few weeks, there's been nothing I could do about my little problem except periodically check online to see if any spots opened up in the class. (Which, by the way, is from 8-10 in the morning every single day. Can you say awful?) Well, today I got extremely lucky. As I signed onto MyMAP on the BYU website, I will confess I had just about no hope. Until I saw that little 'A' next to the class that meant 'available.' I think I alarmed my roommates with my shout of joy. I was so stunned with my ridiculous good fortune that I almost forgot to add the class to my schedule. Talk about a potential tragedy.

But a tragedy was averted, and I managed to click that little black 'A' despite my celebratory hand movements that almost broke my roommate's nose. Talk about excitement! So I have my Spring schedule, complete with awfully necessary classes. Boy am I grateful I checked the class schedule today, even sans hope. Now all I have to do is talk my mom into sharing my excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment