Friday, March 26, 2010

Les Miserables

I decided my roommate Maren is brilliant. Sometime this morning she texted me: "What are you doing tonight?" Well, since my Friday night plans had been postponed until Saturday, I had a big, fat nothing on the agenda. She then proceeded: "There's a theater group doing the school edition of les mis. Wanna go?" More inspired words have never been spoken.

For a measly $7.50, we, along with our other roommate Hanna, spent an extremely enjoyable two and a half hours watching quite possibly the most amazing high school students in all of Utah. They sang; they danced; they acted; they changed costumes in the blink of an eye. It was practically magical. And the craziest part is they were all between the ages of fifteen and eighteen. Performing Les Miserables. That play is hard enough for professionals, let alone teenagers. I don't mean to say the performance was perfect, but it was infinitely better than anything I could even potentially think of dreaming about. I left feeling quite unaccomplished.

But that doesn't diminish the fact that the play made for a very satisfying evening. Props to Maren for the suggestion, and for paying for my ticket during my current financial mix-up. Someday I'll actually read the book. Hopefully. For now I'll settle for gratitude for Les Miserables.

No comments:

Post a Comment