Friday, March 5, 2010

St. George

Don't be alarmed; I know I'm writing this post much earlier than normal (at 6:59 in the morning early, to be exact). There is a reason for this madness, and I'd like to think it's a very good one too. My roommates and I are driving down to St. George today, leaving at ten o'clock sharp, and I know that the need to post will completely slip my mind once I'm in that beautiful city. Hence why I'm posting at this not-entirely-God-forsaken-but-pretty-darn-close hour of the morning. Because I am determined to actually stick to my goals with this blog. Which might get a little tricky on Saturday, since I'll be in St. George all day, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I love St. George. I can't even express to you how much I love St. George. I've come up with two valid reasons for this inexplicable love. First, St. George reminds me of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and I love Albuquerque. Now you're probably wondering, why do I love Albuquerque? No clue. My parents and I stayed a night in Albuquerque on our way to Philmont (the Boy Scout Ranch of America) when I was eighteen, and it was magical. There's just something about the desert that I love, probably because it's so vastly different from what I'm used to in Maryland, which is about a far from desert as you can be, short of living in a rain forest. Plus, Albuquerque is a sweet name. So it's practically perfect. St. George reminds me of Albuquerque (the whole desert, red rocks, palm trees, adobe houses thing), and therefore I love it. Except St. George doesn't have the awesome sideways stop lights that I took a bajillion pictures of in Albuquerque because I thought they were just so cool. But oh well. It's still an awesome place.

The second reason I love St. George is that it's NOT PROVO. When I first moved the bulk of my life to Utah to go to college, I thought Provo was a pretty cool place. Mostly because I've never lived anywhere but Maryland, so anywhere would have been a novelty. Except maybe North Dakota.

And now I'm afraid I must cut this short, to resume another day. Because we're about to leave, and I'm not staying another moment in Provo. I'm just so grateful for St. George that I can't wait to be there. Well, there's another big reason why I can't wait to be there. But that's beside the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment