Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lists

I am not the most organized person in the world, as my roommate will attest to. However, I really do love lists. They're just so neat and simple, and super easy to make too. Actually sticking to them is a whole different story. But making them, well, it's as easy to make a list as it is to take candy from a baby.

Today's list was a grocery list. Not the most exciting, I know. And to be honest, I didn't even manage to get everything on my list because the grocery store was out of bran flakes (I don't actually eat bran flakes, but I wanted to make bran muffins, and bran flakes are sortof a necessity for the recipe). I'm pretty sure there's always at least one item that the grocery store is out of when I really need it. Regardless of the slacking of the grocery store, my list was very helpful. Especially since I remembered to bring it instead of leaving it on the kitchen table like I did last time. Yeah, that list wasn't so helpful.

In my examination of lists tonight, I realized that they seem to be something that I make unconsciously. Which is actually a problem because I have an awful memory, so not writing down my lists means I tend to forget half the items unless I continually review them every ten minutes or so. To combat this problem, I write them on my hand. Which really actually makes the problem worse because after about the third time of washing my hands, there is no more list. No bueno.

I actually remembered another list in the course of my evening. Every Young Woman probably has at least seven of these lists lying somewhere around her house because I swear we made them monthly in class. It's the "What I Want My Future Husband To Be" list where you write down every single trait that you think Prince Charming has and decide that your husband will have all those traits too. When I was a Beehive, my list consisted mostly of things like good-looking, funny, likes to do dishes, RM, romantic. And it was about three pages long. By the time I was a Laurel, my ideas about love had matured a little, and my list was more along the lines of honest, loyal, trustworthy, spiritual, and other profound qualities. Though I won't lie, good-looking was still on that list. However, by the time I was a Laurel, the whole husband-list-making activity was a bit of a joke because really what were the chances of finding a guy like that? Little did I know that my chances were very good. Mentally looking back at my list today made me realize that I hit the jackpot. And I'm actually grateful I made it so long ago. Even though at the time I thought it was dorky, now it makes me realize just how lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment