Saturday, March 20, 2010

Old Friends

Hindsight is 20/20. Don't let anyone tell you differently. In fact, I'd venture to say that my hindsight is 20/15, which is a big deal since my normal vision is approaching legally blind. It bothers me a little, this more-than-perfect backwards vision of mine. Because it means I can see every bump and blemish of my past that I wish were non-existent. Though, to be fair, it does make for some fun trips down memory lane when with the right people.

Tonight, I was with the right person. Her name is Stephanie, and we've been friends since I was twelve and she was fourteen (though how we actually became friends is something neither of us can remember - I guess hindsight does have it's shortcomings). We're in the same ward back home; we went to the same high school; we used to live on the same street, and we even liked each other's brothers at one point. We're pretty much the coolest people ever, in case you couldn't already tell. Anyways, these days she lives in Orem, and I live in Provo, so we get to hang out every so often and catch up. And tonight was one of those nights.

The best thing about catching up with someone you've known for years is the incredible range of topics you have to talk about. They range from current happenings to future plans to past events, with a few philosophical discussions and unhappy rants thrown in. It's quite fun. And Stephanie and I, well, we can talk. Between complaining about ex-boyfriends and stressing about the direction our lives our taking, we filled up several hours with conversation. It was fantastic. And made me hardcore thankful for old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment