Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Non-Confrontational Bones

Sometimes I wish I were more confrontational. You might think that's an awfully mean thing to wish for, but hear me out. I'm pretty sure there's not a confrontational bone in my body. I might have a tiny, semi-aggressive bone somewhere that thinks about sticking up for itself every year or so maybe. Maybe, but it's debatable. That's not to say I'm a total doormat who let's everyone and their grandma walk all over me. I'm just not a fan of making arguments out of situations that don't warrant arguing over. Because if I'm bad at being confrontational, I'm even worse at arguing. And both usually end with me crying anyways, so it's better if I just stay away from them altogether.

That being said, tonight I wish I were more confrontational, because if I were, I would attack my peacefully sleeping roommate with a pillow at this moment. I think that would be a much more effective form of payback than my earlier attempts to peg her with a crumpled-up paper ball. Why the sudden urge to hit my roommate with various objects? Because she deserves it for teasing me so much! Really I think it's fair: she teases me, I throw things at her - it all equals out in the end. I guess that's the beauty of roommates.

Living with roommates is a rather tricky thing. I swear living with brothers was so much easier. Yeah, they walk around in their boxers and leave their wet towels on the floor, but I can deal with that. It's the emotions that I have trouble with. (That and the mounds of hair all over. I swear between the five of us we shed more than an entire pet store. It's gross.) Five young adult women living in an apartment that's really more fit for two people, with hormones and boys and PMS, makes for quite a roller coaster ride. But we make it work, and, in my opinion, we make it work well, because even though we all have our differences, we all have things in common too. So everything balances out. It doesn't really matter in the long run who ate whose food, or who borrowed whose DVDs, or who did anything along those lines; in the grand scheme of things we all still get along. And what's more, we don't just tolerate each other; we're actually FRIENDS. Which is pretty amazing.

Well, now that I got all sentimental, I'm afraid my confrontational desire is gone. My roommate should consider herself lucky that my tiny, semi-aggressive bone decided today wasn't the day to stick up for itself. Though really I think I'm more grateful for that. Because if I had gone through with my pillow scheme, she would have gotten mad. And then her fiance would not have been quite as willing to carpool as he is now. Which would have been a disaster. Plus it probably would have made our relationship relatively unpleasant for a few days. And I'm pretty sure she would pay me back by dumping water on my head while I was sleeping the next night. So overall, I'm actually grateful for my non-confrontational bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment