Friday, May 21, 2010

Edited Movies

When I turned the TV on today, to see if there were any crimes shows on that I could watch while doing Spanish homework, I discovered that instead there was an edited movie playing on the usual channel. The movie happened to be Tristan and Isolde, which I've seen before, and is really a very sad story. So I watched the end of it, and promptly fell asleep, waking up about an hour later to discover that the channel was now playing an edited version of Casanova, which I had not seen and has Heath Ledger in it. I was all over that.

After that movie ended, I decided to turn off the TV and run a few errands. But channels are tricky, and they sucker you into things before you even realize what's happening. Next thing I knew, the edited version of Atonement was on. I'd always wanted to see that movie, but since it was rated R, I never had. It was quite a conundrum. Go out and be productive, or stay and watch another movie. Well, I confess that I'm a movie junkie, and Atonement won. Consequently, my errands didn't get completely finished tonight, which means I have no milk for cereal tomorrow morning, but such is life. I think I made a good choice.

Which leads me to the grateful item of the night: edited movies. I personally don't understand why it's necessary to make R-rated movies in the first place, and it bothers me when movies that look really good are rated R, especially if it's for something totally avoidable (honestly, it's generally not necessary to say the f-word every other sentence). But that's the way it goes, and as long as it is this way, I'll continue to watch edited movies. And I'd personally like to shake the hand of whoever came up with the genius idea that brought them about.

As a side note, I'm now completely caught up with my blog! Thank you to Skyler for forcing me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment