Monday, May 17, 2010

Roadtrips

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I love roadtrips. However, that statement deserves a bit of explanation. I don't particularly enjoy the actual part on the road. But the time in between those long hours of monotony make up for any horrors suffered. So the roadtrips themselves are worth it. Which is why I love them so much.

I believe this weekend marks the seventh time I will be making the trek to St. George since January. Really since February, because I didn't go down until half-way through, during the long weekend. Each way, the car trip takes anywhere from three to four hours (for some reason, the trip down takes closer to four, and the trip back closer to three; it's extremely depressing, and I wish it were flipped). Plus there have a been a few trips that were more on the long side, due to inclement weather and an unfortunately ornery tire. So we'll say each way takes four hours. That's eight hours of driving per trip (give or take). Multiply that by seven trips, and that's fifty-six hours spent in a car. Not to mention the twelve-hour round trip to Disneyland. And I willing submitted to all that; in fact, I jumped at the chance to subject myself to it. I must be crazy.

But I promise you that I am not. Because the time spent in St. George is more than worth it. Which is why I'm looking forward to yet another trip this weekend, this time courtesy of the St. George Shuttle. Hopefully it doesn't turn out as sketchy as it sounds, and I make it to my destination in one piece. And in case you were wondering, the moral of this mathematical post is to say that despite the pain and suffering of the drives themselves, I'm thankful for roadtrips. I don't know what I would do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment