Monday, May 17, 2010

A Working Oven

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In a similar vein as yesterday's post, today's topic is another little rant on the abysmal state of the apartments in Provo. We discovered a few days after moving into our current place that the oven doesn't work. The whole contraption is the most ghetto gas death trap I've ever seen. Only three of the four burners work, and we think the actual oven ignites, but it's sketchy at best. Mostly it takes years to heat up the slightest bit and fills the entire apartment with the smell of gas - but there is a flame down there!

Needless to say, we don't use the oven. Personally I'd like to live through Spring term, and I honestly think prolonged use of that thing would cut that goal short in a hurry. This leaves me in an awful predicament, because I like to bake. And I've been wanting to make banana bread for probably about a week now. I thought I had a good chance of making it because the maintenance man did make an appearance last Thursday, but he said he would be back to finish the job on Friday and has yet to surface again, so I've just about given up hope that our oven will ever make it back to full strength.

This is where Maren comes in. She's just so wonderful; she willing let me invade her apartment to make a few loaves (though she did get her own loaf out of the deal, so maybe there were ulterior motives). The end result was a rather tasty batch of banana bread. And the whole experience left me grateful, once again, for something I don't have: a working oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment