Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Yoga DVDs

Thursday, April 29, 2010

I am not a natural-born athlete, and it's something that I've always known. Not that I particularly mind the fact that I prefer reading to running, but it would be nice if I enjoyed exercising a bit more than I do. Pretty much the only form of cardiovascular exercise I enjoy is swimming, naturally one of the most high maintainance sports out there; what would possess me to enjoy a sport that requires nothing more than space to run when I could love one that needs special clothing and thousands of gallons of water contained in a small pool that's only available for use during the wee hours of the morning?

However, setting aside my cardiovascular preferences, I'd like to talk about another form of exercise that I discovered. It happened one day last summer when I was flipping through the 639-odd channels that we have on our TV in Maryland (better said, when I was flipping through the menu to see if anything good was playing). During my search, I found the FitTV channel, and what happened to be on that channel was a yoga show. I've always loved yoga, and by 'always' I mean the two times my Young Womens group has done basic yoga during Mutual. So I flipped to that channel, and fell in love at first sight. The show was phenomenal, and consequently became part of my summer morning routine - fall out of bed, throw some clothes on, and roll out the yoga mat. I've never enjoyed mornings more.

Which made coming back to school that much more depressing - basic cable doesn't get the FitTV channel, meaning early-morning yoga was no longer an option. Until my birthday, that is, when my parents gave me yoga DVDs. I have a feeling they will end up being my most-used birthday gift ever, a use that started at six o'clock this morning when I re-instituted my summer morning routine. I've never been so grateful for exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment