Monday, May 17, 2010

A Real House

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I think the thing that I love most about swimming is that I don't have to focus on it. With other forms of exercise, like running for instance, I have to focus on them, like how to keep putting one foot in front of the other. But with swimming, I have the ability to develop some form of rhythm, so that I can keep plugging along while leaving my mind free to think about whatever it would like.

Today it decided to get homesick. Of the billions of topics it could ponder, and my mind decided to make me long for home. How nice. I decided that what I wished for most at that moment was my house. Do you know how many crappy apartments there are in Provo? Entirely too many to count. In fact, it's infinitely easier to count how many good apartments there are, because they'd probably fit on one hand.

Take my current apartment, for instance. The kitchen fan creaks when it's windy outside; walking on the carpet makes the bottoms of my feet black; and the shower makes the apartment sound like it's about to collapse. Or my previous one. The wireless only worked when it felt like it; we had ants invade our kitchen more than once; and the shower drain had a bigger hairball than I thought possible. And the saddest part of the whole thing is that practically every affordable apartment in Provo has similar problems. Do you see why I'm pining for an actual house? Especially my house in Maryland. For all its oddities, I love it. And I can't wait till I can get one of my own and finally leave the torture of ancient apartments. Even though I won't get one for several years, I'm still grateful for real houses. Boy are they underrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment